METALLICA has shared a previously unreleased live recording of "Wherever I May Roam" performed at Day On The Green in Oakland, California on October 12, 1991. The track is taken from the remastered deluxe box set of METALLICA's self-titled fifth album — also known as "The Black Album" — due on September 10 via the band's own Blackened Recordings. Check it out below.
The Black Album is one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed records of all time. Its 1991 release not only gave METALLICA its first No. 1 album in no fewer than 10 countries, including a four-week run at No. 1 in the U.S., its unrelenting series of singles — "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam" and "Sad But True" — fueled the band's rise to stadium headlining, radio and MTV dominating household name status. The album's reception from the press was similarly charged, building over the years from the top 10 of the 1991 Village Voice Pazz & Jop national critics poll to becoming a constant presence in the likes of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time. The album's impact and relevance continue to grow — as proven by one indisputable fact: The Black Album remains unchallenged as the best-selling album in the history of Nielsen SoundScan, outselling every release in every genre over the past 30 years.
To commemorate its 30th anniversary, the Grammy-winning, 16-times-platinum-certified Black Album is receiving its definitive re-release. Remastered for ultimate sound quality, The Black Album remaster will be available in multiple configurations including 180-gram double vinyl LP, standard CD and 3 CD expanded edition, digital, and limited-edition deluxe box set (containing the album remastered on 180-gram 2LP, a picture disc, three live LPs, 14 CDs (containing rough mixes, demos, interviews, live shows), 6 DVDs (containing outtakes, behind the scenes, official videos, live shows), a 120-page hardcover book, four tour laminates, three lithos, three guitar picks, a METALLICA lanyard, a folder with lyric sheets, and a download card).
Much more than a mere tribute album, "The Metallica Blacklist" celebrates the enduring influence of this musical milestone with one of the most ambitious projects ever conceived by the METALLICA team: An unprecedented 50+ artists spanning an unbelievably vast range of genres, generations, cultures, continents and more, each contributing a unique interpretation of their favorite Black Album cut.
"The Metallica Blacklist" offers up new dimensions of the record whose gravitational pull first drew the mainstream to METALLICA — and provides new insights into the universal and timeless appeal that kept it there: the boundary-smashing influence these 12 songs have had on fans and musicians of all stripes. "The Metallica Blacklist"'s 53 tracks find singer songwriters, country artists, electronic and hip hop artists sharing their love of these songs alongside punk rockers, indie darlings, icons of rock, metal, world music and many, many more… and for 50+ good causes: Profits will be divided evenly between charities of the artist's choice and METALLICA's All Within My Hands foundation.
"The Metallica Blacklist" is a fitting and limitless homage, one that features bands who've shared stages with METALLICA alongside artists who are younger than the original album. It's a truly staggering, at times mystifying assemblage of musicians, dozens of whom have little to nothing in common other than the shared passion for the music that's united them for this album: 1 Album. 12 Songs. 53 Artists. Unlimited Possibilities.
"The Metallica Blacklist" will be available in formats including digital, four-CD and a limited-edition seven-LP vinyl pressing. Pre-orders will instantly receive multi-platinum selling recording artist, songwriter, philanthropist and trailblazer Miley Cyrus's version of "Nothing Else Matters" featuring Andrew Watt, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo and Chad Smith, and Colombian-born rock/pop superstar, and winner of 20+ Grammy and Latin Music Grammy Awards Juanes's interpretation of "Enter Sandman".
All profits from "The Metallica Blacklist" will be split evenly between the All Within My Hands foundation and 50+ charities chosen by the artists who play on the album. All Within My Hands was founded by the band in 2017 as a way for the entire METALLICA family to give back to communities that have supported the band by supporting workforce education, the fight against hunger, and other critical local services.
"The Metallica Blacklist" features the following tracks:
* ALESSIA CARA & THE WARNING - Enter Sandman
* MAC DEMARCO - Enter Sandman
* GHOST - Enter Sandman
* JUANES - Enter Sandman
* RINA SAWAYAMA - Enter Sandman
* WEEZER - Enter Sandman
* SAM FENDER - Sad But True (Live)
* JASON ISBELL - Sad But True
* MEXICAN INSTITUTE OF SOUND FEAT. LA PERLA & GERA MX - Sad But True
* ROYAL BLOOD - Sad But True
* ST. VINCENT - Sad But True
* WHITE REAPER - Sad But True
* YB - Sad But True
* BIFFY CLYRO - Holier Than Thou
* THE CHATS - Holier Than Thou
* OFF! - Holier Than Thou
* PUP - Holier Than Thou
* COREY TAYLOR - Holier Than Thou
* CAGE THE ELEPHANT - The Unforgiven
* VISHAL DADLANI, DIVINE, SHOR POLICE - The Unforgiven
* DIET CIG - The Unforgiven
* FLATBUSH ZOMBIES FEAT. DJ SCRATCH - The Unforgiven
* HA*ASH - The Unforgiven
* JOSÉ MADERO - The Unforgiven
* MOSES SUMNEY - The Unforgiven
* J BALVIN - Wherever I May Roam
* CHASE & STATUS FEAT. BACKROAD GEE - Wherever I May Roam
* THE NEPTUNES - Wherever I May Roam
* JON PARDI - Wherever I May Roam
* SEBASTIAN - Don't Tread On Else Matters
* PORTUGAL. THE MAN FEAT. AARON BEAM - Don't Tread On Me
* VOLBEAT - Don't Tread On Me
* THE HU - Through The Never
* TOMI OWÓ - Through The Never
* PHOEBE BRIDGERS - Nothing Else Matters
* MILEY CYRUS FEAT. WATT, ELTON JOHN, YO-YO MA, ROBERT TRUJILLO, CHAD SMITH - Nothing Else Matters
* DAVE GAHAN - Nothing Else Matters
* MICKEY GUYTON - Nothing Else Matters
* DERMOT KENNEDY - Nothing Else Matters
* MON LAFERTE - Nothing Else Matters
* IGOR LEVIT - Nothing Else Matters
* MY MORNING JACKET - Nothing Else Matters
* PG ROXETTE - Nothing Else Matters
* DARIUS RUCKER - Nothing Else Matters
* CHRIS STAPLETON - Nothing Else Matters
* TRESOR - Nothing Else Matters
* GOODNIGHT, TEXAS - Of Wolf And Man
* IDLES - The God That Failed
* IMELDA MAY - the god that failed
* CHERRY GLAZERR - My Friend Of Misery
* IZÏA - My Friend Of Misery
* KAMASI WASHINGTON - My Friend Of Misery
* RODRIGO Y GABRIELA - The Struggle Within
Back in 2017, METALLICA announced that it was preparing deluxe remastered versions of its "…And Justice For All" (1988) and "Metallica" (1991) albums and reached out to its hardcore fans for help to get content for the new editions. "…And Justice For All" has since been reissued for its 30th anniversary in 2018.
METALLICA's self-titled LP in 2014 became the first album to sell 16 million copies since Nielsen SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991.
"Metallica" was already certified 16 times platinum on December 13, 2012 by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association Of America) for shipments in excess of 16 million copies in the U.S.
The album in 2009 surpassed SHANIA TWAIN's 1997 record, "Come On Over", as the best-selling CD of the SoundScan era.
"Metallica" was the first of four collaborations with producer Bob Rock, with whom the band clashed throughout the recording of the disc.
METALLICA performed "the black album" in its entirety at a number of European festivals in 2012.