MEGADETH's 35th-anniversary greatest-hits compilation, "Warheads On Foreheads", is accompanied by a 350-page graphic anthology, featuring comic book stories inspired by the songs on the album. The collaboration, titled "Death By Design", features stories written and illustrated by top talent from the comics, film, television and music world.
The project, carefully curated by MEGADETH leader Dave Mustaine and Heavy Metal, is a powerful book that gives both insight and understanding into the universe of MEGADETH and its harrowed mascot, Vic Rattlehead.
A two-minute video in which Mustaine talks about the making of the MEGADETH song "Rattlehead" for "Death By Design" can be seen below.
MEGADETH, working in close collaboration with Heavy Metal, has collected an unprecedented pool of talent for "Megadeth: Death By Design", making it any comic book or MEGADETH fan's dream. Brendan Small (creator of "Metalocalypse") teams with Belen Ortega ("Girl With The Dragon Tattoo") for "Hangar 18". Dan Fogler ("Fantastic Beasts And Where To find Them") writes an apocalyptic tale insanely drawn by Andy Belanger ("Southern Cross") for "Rattlehead". An A-list talent pool rounds out the roster featuring Tim Seeley ("Hack/Slash"), Ben Templesmith ("30 Days Of Night"), Brian Wood ("DMZ"), Justin Jordan and John Bivens ("Spread"), Leah Moore and John Reppion ("Judge Dredd"), Joe Keatingue ("Popgun"), Christine Larsen ("Holy Diver"), Frazier Irving ("Annihilator") and more than 50 other talented creators.
Says Dave Mustaine: "I have always fantasized about MEGADETH doing something this gloriously electrifying and gruesome. I hope everyone will enjoy the graphic novel as much as I enjoyed working with Heavy Metal to put it together for you."
Jeff Krelitz, CEO of Heavy Metal, says: "Since I was old enough to buy records, MEGADETH has been one of my favorite bands, not only for the great storytelling in the music, but the world building imagery on the album covers. This opportunity to meld the two worlds together and tell stories inspired by their songs is a privilege that we are excited to present to the fans."
"Megadeth: Death By Design" comes in four different editions.
Song + Writers & Artists:
* "Rattlehead": Dan Fogler & Andy Belanger
* "Mechanix": Ben Meares & DAF
* "Killing Is My Business": Alex de Campi & Mack Chater
* "The Conjuring": Llexi Leon & Kevin West
* "Wake Up Dead": Tony Lee & Gyula Nemeth
* "Devils Island": Sebastian Girmer & Esau Escorza
* "Good Mourning / Black Friday": Leah Moore, John Reppion & Ben Templesmith
* "Set The World Afire": Diego Agrimbau & Agustín Alessio
* "In My Darkest Hour": David Baille & Conor Boyle
* "Holy Wars…The Punishment Due": Tim Seeley & Ignacio Calero
* "Hangar 18": Brendon Small & Belén Ortega
* "Tornado Of Souls": Patrick Kindlon & Marco Turini
* "Rust In Peace…Polaris": Hector Lima & Garrie Gastonny
* "Five Magics": Johnathan LaMantia
* "Take No Prisoners": ML Miller & Carlos Granda
* "Skin O' My Teeth": PM Buchan & John Pearson
* "Angry Again": Homero Rios & Anton Kokarev
* "Symphony Of Destruction": Justin Jordan & John Bivens
* "Sweating Bullets": Sean Lewis & Axel Medellin
* "A Tout Le Monde": Llexi Leon & Richard Friend
* "Train Of Consequences": James Harvey
* "Reckoning Day": Jeff Burandt & Jason Gongour
* "Trust": Frazer Irving
* "She-Wolf": Curtis Pires & Antonio Fuso
* "Wanderlust": Abraham Martínez & Patricio Delpeche
* "Dread and the Fugitive Mind": Jonathan Land & Andrea Mutti
* "Blackmail The Universe": Haylar García & Abel
* "Washington Is Next!": Haylar García & Kevin Enhart
* "Head Crusher": R.G. Llarena & Danijel Zezelj
* "Public Enemy No. 1": John Ostrander & Miguel Mora
* "Kingmaker": Brian Wood & Riccardo Burchielli
* "The Threat Is Real": Joe Keatinge & Anand Radhakrishnan
* "Poisonous Shadows": Chistine Larsen
* "Death From Within": Alex de Campi & Wilfredo Torres
* "Dystopia": David Baille & Simeon Aston